What do I need to do in preparation for the appointment?
Please consider the following, these must be carried out before your sweep arrives:
- Do not light the fire or appliance the night before your appointment. Heat and hot embers will prevent your sweep from carrying out his work but you will still be charged for the appointment.
- Ash is not taken away by your sweep. Unless you are confident that your fire or appliance can be swept without the ash being removed please remove all ash and embers before hand.
- Create at least a 2 metre square space in front of the fireplace or wood burning stove. including furniture, ornaments on the hearth and any secured fire protectors. Ornaments on the mantelpiece and rugs can remain in place. We don’t want you to injure yourself so if you need help moving heavy furniture on the day, your sweep can assist.
- Make sure there is at least one easily accessible power socket in the room.
- Provide parking on your drive or parking vouchers/permits where necessary.
How much does a chimney sweep cost?
How long does it take?
How often should I have my chimney swept?
Will there be a lot of mess?
Does a wood burner with a chimney liner need to be swept?
Yes, anything that burns wood or solid fuels will need sweeping at least once a year.